I'm sure many of you have considered renting. Particularly, with todays house prices constantly rising in the UK. It feels almost impossible to move out.
My partner and I have been living with my parents for 8 months now... (Yes you read that correctly, we are BOTH living with my parents). I've recently just graduated from University and started a job as a digital marketer, so we're currently trying to save for a deposit for a house.
But, we did consider renting, in fact we even went and viewed some rented properties to keep our options open. What we learnt from our experiences, is to ASK THESE 15 QUESTIONS.
1) Can you clarify the rent, deposit and cost of utilities?
2) Are there any deposits or non-refundable fees? What are they for?
3) Are there any screening fees?
4) What is the ideal lease duration?
5) How much interest has there been in this property?
6) What's your late fee policy?
7) What is the pet policy?
8) Are there any parking spaces? If so how many cars?
9) What is the procedure for submitting a maintenance request?
10) How much notice is given if you will be visiting the property?
11) What furnishings or appliances are included?
12) How soon can someone move in?
13) What is local to this area?
14) Will any redecorating be done before moving in?
15) Do I need a guarantor?
You should also take on board these tips...
- If you don't like the terms and conditions, challenge them. You want to make sure that you'll be completely happy moving in to this property.
- Research, research and research! You will want to know the crime rate in the area, break ins, can the rent increase?
- Make sure to get everything in writing.
- Conduct a thorough inventory, you will want to know what appliances you will need.
- Check the water pressure, it may seem silly. But believe me it will be important to you in the long run.
From our experience, this has vastly helped us narrow down properties to consider.